Sequoia National Park : just what the doctor prescribed (kind of)

When the doctor said I couldn’t get on a plane for at least 10 days and I had to cancel my trip to Seattle and my trip to San Fran, what other choice did I have then to drive to Sequoia National Park to go explore? 

None ... 

It was evident that waking up at 6 am, driving 280 miles to explore the sequoias for 5 hours and driving back another 280 miles that same day was the only option left for my wanderlust travel addicted soul. 

Of course, if I were a sane and reasonable human being, I would have stayed home, in between the bazillion soft blankets scattered in our living room and binge-watched a show on Netflix. I am sure that’s what the doctor had in mind. However, I have my own mind and my mind can be very stubborn. Luckily, my step son is a mini me when it comes to travel: ADVENTURE is also his middle name, so he was all for waking up early and driving all day in hopes to see giant trees. 

Thankfully, our really long drive was well rewarded. Sequoia National Park was wonderful and exactly what we hoped for. Fresh air, beautiful trees, a picturesque river, waterfalls and even some snow in some areas. It was almost surreal, especially with the fog coming in and out at different altitudes. It almost felt like we were in some other dimension, yet we were in the same state we live in: beautiful Cali. 


Literally the day was perfect, with the small exception of my phone taking a one way trip to death underneath Moro Rock. But even losing my $600 phone wasn't enough to put a damper on the fabulous day trip. I just took a deep breath and thanked my luck that it was "just" the phone and not the car keys. 

Moro Rock, where my iPhone 6 will be forever at peace away from me 

But we made it out alive :-)

Conclusion: I highly recommend a trip to the Sequoia National park and if you can make it into a weekend, go for it. I know we will be coming back in the Spring for sure and maybe camp too. It truly is the land of the Giants and walking into the Giant Forest really felt magical. Doing handstands  "the wrong way" was fun too. 



To start planning, I highly recommend the park's website.. All the info you need is there, with detailed explanations and plenty of options when it comes to activities. Also make sure you check out the advisories about weather and road closures as well before you head to the park. Just to be on the safe side. But of course always leave a little room for adventure. Get a little lost, hike trails, climb rocks, and if you are lucky and it is summer, go horseback ride. 

You can skip General Sherman though. It’s true that it is the World’s largest tree, yes, but it’s not the most impressive. trust me. It is the largest by volume (sneaky, huh)  but there are plenty of taller more impressive trees in more secluded and peaceful areas in the park. I did love climbing up to Moro Rock. It was foggy so there was no view, but in my opinion, it made it an even cooler experience. It was eerie and mysterious.  What can I say, I am a glass half-full kind of girl. 


Just remember to zip the pockets of your jackets and/or pants during your adventure … unless you are trying to lose your phone "on purpose" ... 


PHOTO CREDIT: DJ & I  but mainly DJ -:) 

EAT WELL, TRAVEL OFTEN, TAKE PICTURES 

SARA 

Comments

Most Read Articles

Trop Bon Trop Con

Girl's Trip Complications

About Selfies & Belfies