Joshua Tree: the perfect spot to DISCONNECT

Joshua Tree has always been on my list and by always, I mean since last August when I moved to Cali and started mapping out mini adventures in my new home state. So I guess always might be an exaggeration, but I get a little anxious and impatient when it comes to traveling and exploring. 

So after cancelling Joshua Tree in November because of an ear infection, and December being crazy busy, I was super hopeful for January. But my hopes were shattered, and Joshua Tree started to become more and more like a dream that would never come true. 

Perhaps another person would have thought it wasn’t meant to be - but like i said before, when it comes to traveling, I am pretty tenacious. So finally on the last day of February, with much juggling of my work schedule and some crazy luck, I made it to Joshua Tree and woke up to this beautiful sunrise on the 1st day of March. 





The perfect way to start the month, don’t you think? 

We entered the park through the West Side entrance and drove towards the Barker Dam. We started out on the Nature trail but decided it was not challenging enough so we climbed some of the rocks instead and the views pretty fantastic. We still got to the dam which was pretty cool too. Especially the reflection on the water, right? 







We then drove to Cholla Cactus Garden. It was better than the pictures, and yes those plants are living and kind of jump. Here a few pictures of the hubby and I before the cholla attacked us. 







So don’t be us: wear some hardcore boots when walking this trail, not fabric sneakers, and watch where you are walking. It was painful and not easy to remove all those needles from our sneakers. 

But was sunset worth it? Yes … and the full moon coming from behind the mountain was worth it too. 


Sunrise was equally worth it. We woke up about 15 minutes before sunrise to have time to drive ourselves from the campground to Live Oak Picnic Area - a 5 minute drive from Jumbo Rock Campground -and the perfect spot for sunrise, in my humble opinion.

Next time we are bringing bacon for the grill 

We then drove out the park to find Canyon Road off the 62 which got us to the Twenty Nine Palm Oasis. We didn’t get to see any Bighorn Sheep, but the hike allowed for some great panoramic views and it was really cool to go from rocks and a pretty deserted landscape to a little palmeraie. 





Last but not least, we drove by the Indian Cove, which is also off the 62 and not inside Joshua Tree Park per say, and wow, we were blown away by the huge and steep rock formations.  



the struggle of setting up my tripod which lost two legs out of 3 
But I still managed :) 
Would definitely camp there next time we are in the area, and there will be a next time for sure because I really loved Joshua Tree, and not having any service was a major plus. Disconnecting at it's best. 

Did the article make you want to go? Or maybe the photos? Let me know in the comments below. And feel free to ask me any questions. 


EAT WELL, TRAVEL OFTEN, TAKE PICTURES 


SARA 

Comments

  1. Joshua Tree is still on my to do list! Loving all of your photos, that sunset looks amazing! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for reading and glad you liked the photos

      Delete
  2. Love seeing your adventures there and that you were finally able to make it!!!! Joshua Tree is gorgeous, especially the sunsets! I recently did an adventure engagement session out there and we found out about the cactuses too the hard way! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those sunset pics! Good tip on avoiding cactus attacks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Most Read Articles

Trop Bon Trop Con

Dear Passengers (Part 2)