Trop Bon Trop Con




"Trop bon trop con" is a French expression that means that if you are too nice, people take advantage of you. True or false? Honestly I am not sure but it definitely made me wonder.

Since I am old enough to remember, I have usually been nice. The kind of person who changed her plans for family or friends in order to accommodate everyone - with a smile. The kind of person that didn't think twice about spending more money on gifts for others than for herself because truly giving is more rewarding than receiving.

But lately it seems I have run out of niceness. If you are wondering if niceness is a real word, it is! I looked it up.

In many occasions, I found myself losing patience quicker than usually and not willing to meet anyone half way. My way or the highway kind of theory. And if someone made a mistake, well apologizing doesn't seem to cut it anymore.

I wonder if my friends noticed, or if it is all the same for them. I talked to my brother, and he said I was too nice before, that now I was just being normal and that some people didn't deserve my time.

It translates into it is not wrong to be nice, it is wrong to be nice to certain people ... true or false? 

A part of me definitely feels better, more empowered, less depending of others. But some of it feels wrong. Some of it feels like I am being mean. Did you ever feel in this position? How did you find the right balance?

Ps: I am not saying I am this perfect person, far from that. I am wrong about a million things probably every other day ... I am just talking about the nice aspect.




Comments

Most Read Articles

Joshua Tree: the perfect spot to DISCONNECT

Dear Passengers (Part 2)