It was the GPS, not me ….

It says High Falls, doesn’t? 
In real life, mistakes can be bad. But when it comes to the traveling life, I would say that mistakes are never completely bad. Even if it changes your final destination or makes your road trip a little longer than expected and perhaps even makes you (almost) miss your flight, the experience of it all is always fun in retrospective and most times creates unforgettable memories.  

Unless you miss that flight of course and are stuck at the airport for 15 hours … 

Also I am a girl, so I don’t like to ever admit I am wrong when it comes to directions so I rather say mistakes are just detours …  Us girls already get a bad rap about not being good drivers. We don’t need to get a bad rap about being bad at giving directions. Plus it is easier to blame Google Maps or Waze. 

But when driving to High Fall, New York, located 96 miles from the city, it was hard not to admit something was wrong when the drive ended up being 130 miles. But that didn’t stop me from trying. 

My boyfriend kept making comments about the hour and a half drive seeming longer than that, and I kept finding excuses. Plus if I were wrong, how come we ended up finding waterfalls, right?


However, when I then googled the restaurant my same friend recommended in the same town as the waterfalls, it said 36 miles!
OUPS


I thought long and hard about how to still get away with not admitting I was wrong. I figured food would be a good distraction. And that perhaps with enough yummy passion fruit margaritas in his system, he would no realize we were turning back towards the city.



But to not avail … When i punched in the right address for the waterfalls and casually said “It’s this way,” he was quick to say: “That’s the way we came from, no?” 

I tried to mumble something, but basically I was busted. He knew I had messed up.

But is it really messing up when your detour makes you run into an airbus trailer that sells yummy jerky and brisket? I don’t think so.



Is it really messing up when your detour makes you run into a cute little farm stand that sells the sweetest wild plums ever? Again, I don’t think so.



So moral of the story: me typing High Falls and the GPS correcting it to High Falls Conservancy Area wasn’t really my fault …  but even if it were, at the end of the day, it was super fun to discover both High Falls Conservancy Area in Hudson, NY and  High Falls in Ulster County, NY and all the little shops and restaurants along the way.

High Falls in Ulster County 





It was the perfect Sunday Sunday.

EAT WELL, TRAVEL OFTEN, TAKE PICTURES 

SARA 

Comments

Most Read Articles

Trop Bon Trop Con

Girl's Trip Complications

About Selfies & Belfies